Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Meandering to a Shower?

I have meandered to my couch. I've been here for hours, hearing intermittent rain outside, and imagining that I'm smelling old beer, like the remains the morning after a keg party, somehow being kicked into the atmosphere by the downpour.

A few days ago I took my zebra plant, Mr. Tambourine Plant, outside. I have felt that the plant's been dying, not producing new growth, for some time now. I didn't know what to do with it. First I put it in the kitchen to be around it more during the day. Then I took it outside. Now I can see it outside my bedroom window, sitting in its pot amidst backyard growth.

This morning I looked out there and wondered if I should give it some water. And then it started to rain. And then hail.



I peeked out the window at her and she seems to be doing fine. I wonder if maybe her journey outside and the rain and hail will bring her back to life. She's so sweet.

Years ago when my beloved yellow and black guppy, Tambourine, was dying, I euthanized him by putting him in some water in the freezer (on advice from the guy on the phone from PetSmart who told me to hold on while his manager was walking by so that the manager wouldn't hear the employee tell me how they euthanize dying pets at their store). It was extremely cold in Ohio that winter, and I was too cold even to take Tambourine outside. So into the freezer my dear friend went, and on my iTunes, I played every version of Mr. Tambourine Man that I had. Meanwhile, I repotted my sweet zebra plant, and when I finished, I buried my little fish in the plant. And she has thrived for years.

But like every living thing, she also has a life span. And also like every living thing, she has up times and down times. A few years ago I took her to a nursery to have her checked out since she was getting really leggy and not producing fully. I was advised to trim her stems down to a few inches each. I was nervous to do this, but I did, and, lo and behold, she grew again into a full, bushy, healthy Mr. Tambourine Plant.

I don't know anything at all. How anything will go, has gone, or is.

Mr. Tambourine Plant seems to be doing okay outside. If she keeps on living, maybe she'll come back in the house. It's an adventure, being a plant mommy.

I was going to title this post Meandering to a Requiem, but I no longer feel that this is her funeral dirge.

Now, will I meander to a shower? Maybe I could just take off all of my clothes and stand outside. The rain continues . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment